While it’s great to work up a healthy sweat, the odour of an unclean mat is something we can all do without. To make sure our practice is easy on the nose, I’ve assembled a simple but powerfully clean, post routine guide to freshen up your mat. It’ll have you (and your yoga mates) smiling all through class.
My 3 fresh tips:
1. If you work up a sweat like me, you should consider buying a super absorbent yoga towel that sits on top of your yoga mat and helps you grip. You can easily pop it in the washing machine post class. I also love a yoga hand towel to get you through those particularly sweaty sessions. Yogi Toes makes a wonderful version of both of these products.
2. I keep a cleaning solution in a spray bottle. As soon as I get home from class I spray a generous amount on my mat, use a cotton cloth to wipe over the mat and then leave it out to dry. Having a couple of strong pegs attached to a coat hanger makes for an easy way to hang your mat to air dry on a balcony. Just make sure you keep it out of direct sunlight.
My all natural cleaning recipe:
– One part water
– One part vinegar
– 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
– add a few drops of essential oil (lavender and rose are my favourites)
Obviously not all yoga mats are created equal, so it’s important to read the care instructions for your particular mat. Some eco-friendly mats (while fantastic) can soak up the oils and cleaning fluid.
3. If you don’t want to make it yourself, consider purchasing one of the few yoga mat cleaners available online.
Follow these fresh tips and you’ll experience some serious savasana serenity. Not to mention the sweet smell of success!
Do you have a favourite yoga mat cleaning tip you’d like to share? Please leave a comment below. We’d love to hear from you.
To stay in touch, you can always reach me via email on firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 400 647 236.
Enjoy your time on the mat this week.